Sunday, June 16, 2013

Uganda Uganda Uganda, Uganda the Pearl of Africa


Hmm… let’s see here. I think I will start with talking about school. I believe I prompted last time about how different school is here in Uganda. Well let me just take the time to say that it has been very stressful teaching the class Kelsey and I have. I have quite a bit of patience, and it has definitely been acquired through the years, but whew I feel when I go back home teaching is going to be a piece of cake…well at least managing the class and discipline. This has led to me really equipping that teacher voice. It is safe to say that Kelsey and I would really enjoy your prayers for these children to see all that God has in store for them, that God would give them the desire to come each day and develop more knowledge and grow an understanding of what it is like to respect their authority…more or less muzungus (white people.) I will say, aside it is the most rewarding thing to see these children learn and beam with happiness when they get a hi-five and pound from Kelsey and me.

The most empowering thing is entering the gates of the home each day and hearing the children scattered about doing chores saying “welcome auntie.” Kelsey put it well when she said, if you have ever wondered what it is like to be a princess, we’ve got it. We are greeted by everyone with hellos, hugs, hands grabbing our bags for us, leading us to our room, asking about our day. It really is royalty. The children here at the home are so unique. They are selfless and so confided in Christ. I so look forward to what each evening brings with each of these children. Each day brings about brand new memories and brand new “funnies” that the kids create through their silliness.

This weekend was definitely the greatest I have had so far here in Kampala. It was very eventful and enjoyable. It started off with Kelsey and me meeting her friend Lisa for pedicures. Can I just say, my mom always tries to drag me to the nail salons and I always refuse, but wow a pedicure has never felt so good or been so appreciated!! After our pedicures we went to a little restaurant and I had a chocolate chip muffin and a “mokka frost”…it hit the spot and was very refreshing to have some sweet instead of salty rice for the day. Kelsey and I then quickly left on the boda and prepared our scavenger hunt for the boys at the home. The clues led to them finding a Uganda Cranes football jersey for each of them and tickets to the football game. Oh my goodness, they were so excited, we were so excited, there was screaming going on everywhere in the home. We quickly left for the game…talk about the craziest experience of my life. People were amongst the streets screaming, shouting, dancing, singing, painted up and decked out in Crane attire. We arrived to the game to find that we had left our tickets in all the excitement. They were able to get our tickets in time, but oh no it gets better, the excitement only escapades. We reached the gate area to go in; purses secured in one hand, ticket in the other and literally were shoved into a mob of thousands of people. This consisted of being shoved into the gate, seeing a fight happen right in front of us and Kelsey protecting one of the boys who kept getting knocked in the head from the fight, to holding on for dear life to the other little boys who were shoved underneath in the crowd.

Once we finally entered we ran to find seats. In the process of finding seats we realized we lost Lawrence. Yes, one of the boys was lost the ENTIRE game. Umm their culture is not to freak out, cry and scream for your child. It is more or less he’s fine he knows the way home. You bet your bottom dollar I was praying my heart away in the process of shouting with excitement at the game. Uganda won 2-1 after an intense match. Boy oh boy, I have never seen such a packed place with constant horns blowing and people shouting/dancing the entire game. These people are dedicated fans! The game was over, and still no Lawrence. We stayed in the stadium and searched for quite some time. We then decided to go to the bodas. I was standing there praying “God please bring Lawrence into our presence” repeatedly. Not seconds later, I look over and say “Is that Lawrence? LAWRENCE!!” I ran up to him screaming and grabbed him…his response: “I was looking for you. How are you?” Not a worry in the world, he enjoyed the game himself and had no fear of finding home. My heart could finally beat again after the excitement of the game and the lost being found. My advice to a man who interviewd me was that “all Americans should come to a Ugandan Cranes football game!” So come J Kelsey, Claire and I all slept in our jerseys last night…talk about some newly dedicated fans.

Today was Sunday. We went to Victory Church today to see Sarah and George be introduced for their wedding in July. I am so excited that Kelsey and I will be here, because it is going to be amazing. This church is more like what I was expecting from the “African experience.” It was a lot more contemporary; jumping, singing, clapping, praising the Lord, my kind of church if I might say so. Afterwards I was able to meet some wonderful people from the church and have some delightful conversations. It is so nice to be welcomed into the culture and get a taste of what life is like for Ugandans close to my age. It is an understatement to say we are truly blessed in the United States. Sundays are also so much fun at the home because it pretty much means football the entire afternoon and sloppy-joes and cookies at night. Today I finally got a little sun on my shoulders, I have been wondering when this sun would reach to me because I feel like a ghost each day. Or maybe it is just because I am surrounding by much darker people.

God has been stirring in my heart a lot about peace lately. Prayers for peace in my heart as well as peace in this country, peace in this world of hurt and sorrow, peace in the children that are so underprivileged, peace for men to rise up and be men of God, women to have peace in their families and that they are not alone, peace for all to understand there is a Savior greater than anyone could know!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment