Saturday, July 6, 2013

These are a few of my favorite things


These are a few of my favorite things…

·         Coming home each day and the kids running to your arms saying “Welcome Auntie.”

 


·         Pulling pranks on the boys and rough housing in their room.

·         When the electricity goes out…and life just goes on.

·         Worshipping each night with the children; God never speaks more.

·         Playing football every Sunday afternoon with all the kids.

·         Popcorn on Saturday’s.

·         Church on Sunday and praising the Lord African style.

·         Walking down the road with Lydia (the custodian from school) for cassava and chapatti.

·         Sitting with the kids each evening and working on homework.

·         Holding baby Joshua and Nicole when they fall asleep in my arms.

·         Doing chores with the kids, it is truly empowering to see all they do.

·         Eating dinner together each night as a family.

·         Tucking the girls in on random nights and telling them I love them.

·         Bucket baths once a week.

·         Seeing the kids smile, laugh, and play together. They are 17 kids running around acting just like brother and sister. Sometimes I just have to sit back and laugh.

·         Move nights on Friday and Saturday means special bonding.

·         Riding the boda to school each morning taking in the freshness God unfolds each day.

·         Going out to eat with Kelsey and sharing life together.

·         Walking into the gates of school each morning, anxious to find out what the day is going to bring.

·         The kids at school teaching Kelsey and I Lugandan.

·         Reading stories to the class-the one time they are the most engaged.

·         Seeing the kids faces light up when they get a hi-five and pound.

·         How quickly the kids will do anything for a sticker.

·         Walking down the street having encounters with people, and them just laughing when I say  “Olyotya nyabo/sebo”

·         Walking out each morning and hearing “Auntie, smart”…oh that means you look nice.

·         Having late night talks with Mama Grace about God and how I should confide in Christ.

·         Having literally the most random conversations with the kids from sad, to funny, to inspiring, to completely unrealistic.

·         Seeing goats and cows grazing on the side of the highway.

·         Seeing the same people each day and them waving on the roads; never fails to put a smile on my face.

·         Talking with the teachers and getting to know them on a deeper level each day.

·         Lying down each night under my mosquito night going to sleep with no worries.

·         Waking up each morning thanking God for a brand new day to do what He has called me to do.

·         Being taught how to do things by the kids, even if I already know how. They love to teach us!

·         Seeing children smile at you is so heart-warming. There is something so enlightening about a smile of innocence spread across their face, and their feelings speak right through their eyes.


·         Receiving letters from the children and having our wall in our room completely covered in letters of inspiration and encouragement from the kids.

·         Constantly being called to come and children knocking within two minutes of shutting the bedroom door.

·         Reading my bible each day and loving what God has for me to learn. He never fails.

·         Learning how to braid their hair.

·         Kelsey playing the guitar with the kids and us all singing together.

·         One on one moments with the kids are the BEST!

·         Taking walks with the kids through the roads.

·         Riding on the bodas at night and looking up at the beautiful stars shining bright.

·         The amazing friends that Kelsey and I have made from church, and having the opportunity to spend time in fellowship with other people our age.

·         I LOVE the culture.

·         I LOVE Uganda, absolutely LOVE Uganda!

It is safe to say that I a part of my heart will always be in Uganda. I have truly learned how to live such a simplistic, worry free life full of peace and faith in God alone. I cannot begin to express how happy I am each day here; a happiness I don’t think I have experienced before. Happiness I believe God has prepared for me to experience while here in Uganda. It is crazy how when you do what God has called you to do He comforts you and captivates your whole being. I am truly blessed that He calls me BELOVED and that I…yes I am a friend of God!

No comments:

Post a Comment